Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wednesday, October 21

I've had weight loss on my mind for the past few days. Shannon suggested I weigh at home. I had a set of scales that never seemed to come close to weighing me so I had pretty much given up on that. I had searched the Internet several months ago looking for a set of high dollar scales to buy so I could begin weighing on a regular basis and not have it be plus or minus 10 pounds every time I weighed.

At my past visit, I asked Shannon what scale she recommended. She recommended "The Biggest Loser" scale at Beds Bath and Beyond. I shared with her my concern of lower dollar scales weighing me differently, so after our appointment we went by the nutritionist office's high dollar scales and guess what? I weighed 2 pounds less on those scales. So, in the scheme of things, it probably doesn't really matter if the scales are off a couple of pounds either way. So, after my visit, Mark and I headed over to BBB and there were literally 100s of Biggest Loser Scales. I have to keep reminding myself that Biggest Loser is in regard to weight and not a character definition.

I am happy with my scale purchase! They have a very modern look and are close to the ground, so they are easy for me to stand on without feeling like I'm going to fall off before I get a weight. I paid 40 dollars for them as opposed to 100s of dollars. That is very different for me and I am satisfied with my scale purchase. I have skipped weighing in the doctor's office for years because I did not think it was necessary and believe it or not, if you tell them you don't want to be weighed, they will not weigh you.

The other thing that is on my mind is GMO - Genetically Manufactured Organisms. I watched a movie a couple of days ago called Food Inc. and realized that I had been living under a rock for many years now. I was not aware that 95% or more of our poultry, beef, and pork products were produced by about 4 major corporations. I was surprised as to how I was fooled by the packaging in the stores; showing Farmers on Tractors and other Farm type scenes so we are all lulled into believing the Farmers are the ones producing our meat products as well as corn and soybeans. If the farmers are in the loop, they have to play by the corporations rules or the corporations will ruin them.

Enough of that. The main horror is the way chickens have been genetically changed so they have big breast so there will be plenty of white meat for us, the customer. Many of them cannot stand, because their legs do not support their heavy upper body. There is not room to walk between them. They are pushed, shoved, and kicked. Same goes with cows and pigs. Anyway, I am going to start purchasing grass fed meats.

Here is a link on GMOs in case you have also been under a rock and want to read about what it is.
http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/2009/10/genetically-modified-organisms-whats.html

I stand in the mirror and hold my arms up to show my muscle. I have several inches of flab hanging down and if I move my arms back and forth, I can get it to jiggle. I recognize the need to build muscle and have read about the importance of doing do to prevent osteoarthritis. We have a little exercise room in the clubhouse. Mark's not too thrilled about going, so I am thinking about finding a partner to work with me.

I sent pictures and an application to participate in Jorge Cruise's "lose belly fat" by Christmas event. There will be 20 women selected and I hope to be one of them. They are going to contact the winners on October 31st. I have not been contacted and maybe they really are not going to contact anyone until that date. Think of me and visualize me working with Jorge Cruise. Interested in learning more about him? jorgecruise.com I found this in Women First magazine; along with a tip that ingesting 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar on a daily basis will help melt body fat. I asked Shannon what she thought of that and she said there has not been many rigorous studies to support this, but that vinegar has healing properties.

My tip for the day. Be sure to use Apple Cider and not Balsamic Vinegar! You probably don't want to know why I know that.

1 comment: