Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I've been wanting to set up my own personal blog ever since I saw Julie and Julia. I was filled with excitement experiencing Julie's journey through the world of Julia and how cooking her way through Julia Child's recipes taught her much more than how to conquer a recipe book. It taught tenacity, strength, wisdom, and courage.

This is what I need to manage my newly diagnosed Type II Diabetes; tenacity, strength, wisdom, and courage.

To fill you in on what I want to blog about; life as a Type II diabetic, I am going to catch you up from when I was diagnosed to current. Then I will be blogging daily about my thoughts and feelings as I continue to manage my blood glucose levels and weight.

July 18th, the Saturday our family was heading to Michigan for a Family Reunion, I received a call from my doctor's office telling me my blood work showed a blood glucose level of 400 and that meant I was a Type II diabetic. They wanted me to come in to the office that day to get another reading and set me up for testing my blood sugar, give me medication and information on diabetes. I thought, boy, they are really on the ball calling me in on Saturday like this. I guess I didn't realize all the complications that can occur from being diabetic.

My reading at the doctor's office that day was 463.

Armed with prescriptions for a meter, lancelets, testing strips, and metformin, I went directly to WalGreens and had all my prescriptions filled. I was in a state of shock. I was familiar with checking glucose levels because my father-in-law is diabetic and checks his throughout the day.

After getting my prescriptions we headed toward Michigan. That night we stopped in a hotel and my daughter's boyfriend showed my how to use my meter. His mom and grandmother have both been diagnosed with Diabetes. From now on, when I say Diabetes, I am talking about Type II.

I decided that I was going to limit my breads, muffins, juice, alcohol intake while at the family reunion and then get more educated after the reunion. I wasn't going to tell anyone, except my husband and daughters that I was diabetic because I didn't want people watching what I ate and attempting to help me out with my food choices. I ended up telling most people. I felt uncomfortable continuing to turn down 90% of what I was offered.

I diligently tested my blood sugar counts and saw them drop from the 300s to the 200 range. Since the levels didn't get out of the 200s in the first 4 days, I began taking the metformin as recommended by my doctor's colleague I saw that Saturday morning earlier in the week.

The reunion was fun and I was fairly satisfied with the choices I made for the week. The Monday I returned from the reunion, I went back to work and realized my eye sight was blurry and that I could not even function at my computer as efficiently as I needed to. I immediately made an appointment to see an opthamologist.

To give you a brief summary of my weight, I've thought I was fat since I was in elementary school. Even now, I stand at 5' 9", weighing 252 pounds. My older sister is 5' 2" and currently weighs 128 pounds. While 252 pounds is still in the obese category, I've weighed as much as 302.

Reading up on Type II diabetes, it was now making sense as to why I told Mark, my husband, that I was feeling ragged. I had been feeling "ragged" for about 4-5 months. I had all the symptoms; frequent urination, craving water non-stop and never having enough, fatigue, weight loss. The interesting thing about the weight loss; being from Texas the last 27 years of my life, I thought I was losing weight because I was not consuming enormous portions of Mexican food. I was concerned that I appeared to have lost quite a bit of muscle tone over the past year. While on one level I wasn't surprised that I was diabetic; I knew that the majority of my symptoms were symptoms of diabetes, I did not know that weight loss was one of them.

I love my doctors in Saratoga Springs! My primary care doctor, Dr. Smith, really cares about me as a person and connected me with my current nutritionist. I've been seeing my nutritionist for a little over a month. Shannon is a great nutritionist. So much different than the one I saw many years ago in Austin who was matronly and almost severe. Shannon has curly red hair and energy that is bright, light, and clean. She walks with a bounce in her step and her eyes sparkle and shine. This amazing young bundle of energy has me counting total carbohydrates. I never thought I wanted to count anything; I thought it was too retrictive. However, I am finding the opposite to be true. Counting carbs has honestly given me freedom of choice. My blood sugars are now in the 140 or below range. My fasting glucose counts are still a little high, but have been in the 110 range.

Let me explain something, I have always failed when attempting to make food lifestyle changes because somewhere along the line I have felt deprivation. Counting total carbohydrates as given me a sense of freedom and lack of deprivation, instead of depriving me like I thought it would.

Has my journey so far been easy? Hell no! I told Shannon in my visit last week that I was feeling pouty. I watch people consume large amounts of alcohol, high carbohydrate foods, and all the dessert they want and they seem healthy and in control of their weight. I tell myself that I do not know what is on their inside and they may be sitting on a problem they don't even know they have. I get in victim mode and spend time wondering why I have to be the one who is obese and now a diabetic.

Here is what I know: I do not want to lose my limbs, eyesight, kidney functions, or allow myself to support any other side affect that will diminish my quality of life. I want to be here for my daughters and my grandkids, and my husband Mark. I want to make a difference in the life of others.

If you are interested, walk with me through my journey as a diabetic and as an obese person. I want to live life to its fullest, feeling comfortable in my body, being able to do all types of activities and not feel limited by my body condition. I am going to share food and exercise experiences with you in an attempt to help you identify with me and potentially inspire you to be as Julie was.

Before blogging off, I want to share with you my tips on not feeling deprived because "I cannot drink juice, coca colas, or have a margarita (50-55 total carbs)". There are 2 things I love more than anything; all kinds of juices and cokes of all kinds. I wanted to satisfy my desire to have a fizzy drink; one I can pop a can and pour over ice. While I'm not "popping" cans, I have managed to fill that void with Polar Club Soda with a dash of juice over ice or an occasional diet drink or zevia (Zevia can be purchased at Hannafords). Be careful though, while the zevia is all natural, there are 12 total carbs per can. Another treat is a glass of red wine. I like Pinot Noirs and a wine named Menage a Trois. A 4 oz glass of red wine is 4 total carbs. I can sip a glass of red wine and feel content. Not actually a margarita, but I don't feel deprived and I find that I actually end up feeling more satisfied!

2 comments:

  1. Dale, I'm actually a little excited for you taking this new journey in life. Our thoughts will be with you through this "life change". I'm thrilled that you are blogging about this new experience & can't wait to read the next chapter. I hope to learn alot from you. Look forward, girl! Life is beginning again for you! :)
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale-you go girl. I am so impressed at the incredible progress you have made in acceptance and blood sugar control in such a short time! I wouldnt be your pharmacy cousin if I didnt remind you to take that metformin with a meal because it can be hard on your stomach.
    That said, rock on and keep sharing-I can't wait to hear about your ongoing success and I want to hear more about this carb counting thing...hmmmm maybe I could use that!

    ReplyDelete