Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday, November 13, 2009

I realized today that I've been brainwashed against sugar and that is a good thing. Mark and I walked by an office today and there were some brownies in open aluminum file. I said to him, 'Ah, she is poisoning her co-workers and guests with what is disguised as delicious looking brownies'!

Mark told me he saw some construction workers sitting outside our building, drinking coffee and eating donuts, and he thought, 'Look at those guys killing themselves'.

We have learned so much and I don't find a donut or candy bar tempting when I think of it as my silent killer. I can say these things humorously and the truth of the matter is that sugar, is consumed in very large quantities, ~156 pound average per person and it does cause health problems. I hope I can one day quit taking my crestor and metformin and control my blood sugar and cholesterol without taking meds.

http://www.55-alive.com/BooksandGames.php?artID=7342 is a link that supports Jorge's information regarding hidden sugars and how reading the label is the only way to truly know how much sugar you are really consuming. I know I feel much better limiting the amount of sugar in my body.

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine was talking about how she limited her daughters to a brownie a day or every other day. I couldn't imagine that. Like Jorge talked about not consuming 4 brownies at a time, I was an emotional eater and sugar was my main staple. I could make fudge or chocolate peanut butter drop cookies and eat the whole batch. I could eat 2 Peanut M&Ms and then follow it with Reese's Pieces at the movies later that night. I do love breads and sweets and I am learning how to enjoy 1 or look for foods that can satisfy me that have no sugars.
Why am I talking about this? The Holiday Season is coming up and my family celebrates big with food and more food, especially honey baked ham, breads, and desserts. As long as I can continue to see huge amounts of sugar as poison and keep a sense of humor about it, I believe I can enjoy the holidays without consuming 150 more pounds of sugar by the end of the year.
Prepare yourself now so you know how you are going to feel satiated and happy over the holidays without adding sugar. And, if you think you cannot, listen to Jorge's Lesson 5, coming up this Monday on emotional eating for inspiration and support.
Tip: Keep plenty of cheese, nuts, 0 sugar naturally sweetened drinks, and healthy treats around so you always have something to help out with cravings. And, most of all, if you really want something, plan a way to have it once, in a small portion, so you don't feel deprived.
Being healthy is a Divine Gift from my Higher Power and I gratefully accept it!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!!!! Since Jorge's program started -Food just looks different to me now, too! Also, I used to hate food shopping, but now I keep looking for that GREAT find. Check out my blog too and let me know what you think...
    http://maura-12weekstoabetterme.blogspot.com/
    and I'm on twitter under mcoyle32
    Maura

    ReplyDelete