Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday, November 20,2009

Yea! It's Friday. I always feel as if I am already on Thanksgiving Holiday the weekend before. I feel festive and have had a good week. I am enjoying cooking simple, yet tasty meals. Tonight we had Salmon, cooked in coconut oil, old bay seasoning, pepper and garlic mix, and Himalayan salt, and the kitchen sink! Well, not exactly. We ate that with edemame and a glass of tea. It tasted amazing and was the right meal to finish off a great day.

Tomorrow I am going downtown Saratoga Springs with my friend Charisse and her toddler Chloe. We are going to ride the carousel, walk in Congress Park, and browse through a few shops. Considering we are in the last part of November, the 50 degree sunshiny days are fabulous. I feel free from poor food choices and powerful about our new way of cooking and my new choices.

I do get my free range turkey on Tuesday. I am so excited about cooking a turkey that is fresh off the farm and never been frozen. I can hardly wait for Thursday to get here so I can cook it with lots of butter, oils, and seasoning. I usually put together a cranberry bourbon marinade that I am going to skip this year and go for something else; not sure what; but earthy. Anybody have any ideas?

As most of you know, I cannot be successful if I feel deprived. Eating foods cooked in butter, oils and no longer feeling guilty about burgers and avocados helps keep me satiated. Swapping white or potato breads for multi grain high fiber breads has been a great and satisfies my love for breads; the grainier the breads the better!

Tip: Prepare your own dessert for the Thanksgiving Holiday and put it in a pretty bowl. A hot hot brownie with strawberries and redi-whip sounds amazing and can fit the program with the appropriate planning. If you absolutely want a bite of pecan or pumpkin pie, allow yourself a thumb sized bite and wait 10 minutes. Do you feel different because you ate that pie? I find I don't and then I think, would I really be happier or more satisfied if I had eaten a big slice and waited 10 minutes? The answer for me is I don't even know the difference. If you have a sliver or decide to have a slice, be sure to eat some protein with it, so your insulin level doesn't spike off the charts. Sprinkling a handful of nuts on the dessert, or eating a thumb sized cube of cheese before the dessert, might even allow you to choose to skip the dessert all together. The idea is to not let yourself feel deprived, because if you are like me, you will start to feel sorry for yourself and then follow that with a big helping of guilt.

Hook em' Horns!

Being healthy is a Divine gift from my Higher Power and I gratefully accept it!

No comments:

Post a Comment